The certosa di san lorenzo in padula

The Certosa di San Lorenzo in Padula is one of the most important monastic complexes in Europe and in 1998 was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

The history of the building begins in 1306 with the foundation by Tommaso Sanseverino count of Marsico. The plant, in addition to recalling the image of the grill on which San Lorenzo was burned alive, reflects the organization of the religious life of the Carthusian order that preaches work and contemplation. Two large areas are therefore distinguished: the "low house" placed in contact with the outside world and intended for the livelihoods of the Carthusian community, and the "high house" which contains the spaces reserved for the community life of the monks and the enclosed spaces gathered around one of the largest cloisters in the world (12 thousand square meters).